CLICK HERE TO REQUEST YOUR AWANA CAMP SCHOLARSHIP
June, 1956: Western Avenue Gospel Hall decided to delay remodeling plans and begin an outpost Sunday School at Black Hawk School.
August 5, 1956: First Alabar Hills Sunday School Session held in Black Hawk School. Henry Anderson was the first Sunday School Superintendent.
November 22, 1956: The Brethren engaged in the Alabar Hills work. They met at Western Avenue to discuss the purchase of a lot to build on. The decision was made to buy, a corporation was formed, and trustees and officers were chosen. The trustees were Willis Nesbit, William Williams, and Henry Anderson. The treasurer was Willis Jepperson.
April 14, 1957: First breaking of bread was held at Black Hawk School.
August, 1957: Construction on Downing Avenue Gospel Chapel began.
January 15, 1958: First Wednesday night prayer meeting was held in the new chapel.
January 19, 1958: First breaking of bread was held in the new building.
March 15-16, 1958: Had a dedication of new building with Robert Arthur and Theo McCully as the guest speakers. Howard Dunkerton gave the dedication address.
September 18-20, 1959: First Missionary Conference held with Cyril Brooks (Philippines), George Walker (Cuba), and T. Ernest Wilson (Angola).
February, 1969: Marlys Anderson was commended to serve with Wycliffe Bible Translators in Peru.
1972: Jim Gillett was commended to serve in Ireland.
Summer, 1975: Added a new gymnasium to the Downing Avenue Gospel Chapel building.
October, 1979: George Farber was commended as a full-time worker.
1982: Deacons were added to the leadership team. The first deacons appointed were Dennis Anderson, Brad Hanes, Merrill Oster, and Merlyn VandeKrol.
1982: Dr. Barb Oolman was commended to Zambia.
1989: Cedar Falls Bible Fellowship began meeting.
1990: Breaking of bread service was moved to the gymnasium due to the number of people attending.
1991: The house next door to the chapel was purchased to accomodate all of the kids for Sunday School.
1996: Brian Robinson was commended to work in Russia.
January, 1998: At a leadership retreat, the elders decided to build a new building in a new location. This was considered the best solution to overcrowding problems at Downing.
December 1, 1998: Bethany Bible Chapel held its first meeting in the former Slumberland store in the Blackhawk Village Shopping Center.
Summer, 1999: Dr. Barb Oolman was commended to Kenya.
November 14, 1999: First Sunday meetings held in new building.
December 4, 1999: Conducted a Dedication Service of Bethany Bible Chapel with Merrill Oster as the guest speaker.
Fall, 2000: AWANA program bagan at Bethany; Dr. Barb Oolman went to Sudan. After one year, Dr. Barb moved back to Kenya.
August, 2005: Small groups began and replaced the mid-week prayer meeting.
2005: Doug and Jan Dunkerton were commended to the Family Counseling Ministry at Bethany.
2005: Randy and Lori Anderson were commended to part-time work in the Youth Ministry.
January, 2006: Dr. Barb Oolman went to Wajir to start a new medical clinic.
2006: David and Renee Easter were commended to Colombia.
October 7, 2007: Bethany celebrated its 50th Anniversary. Merrill Oster was the speaker.
January, 2009: Elder & Deacon annual retreat was held and the decision was made to move forward with building a new gymasium in the Spring of 2009.
February 1, 2009: Elders reported to the Chapel Family at the Annual Meeting that a gymnasium would be built.
April, 2010: The gym was completed and open for use.
September, 2010: Tony and Charity Myers were commended as the new Youth Group Directors at Bethany.